How to install IIS 7.5 FOR WINDOWS SERVER 2008 R2
- On the taskbar, click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Server Manager.
- In the Server Manager hierarchy pane, expand Roles, and then click Web Server (IIS).
- In the Web Server (IIS) pane, scroll to the Role Services section, and then click Add Role Services.
- On the Select Role Services page of the Add Role Services Wizard, expand FTP Server.
- Select FTP Service. (Note: To support ASP.NET Membership or IIS Manager authentication for the FTP service, you will also need to select FTP Extensibility.)
- Click Next.
- On the Confirm Installation Selections page, click Install.
- On the Results page, click Close.
How to setup the FTP site
Open IIS Manager > right click on "Sites" > Select "Add FTP Site"
Give the site a name i.e ftp.contoso.com > then point the root of the site to a physical location i.e F:\inetpub\ftproot
Click on the site ftp.contoso.com > Select FTP User Isolation > Select "Username directory (disable global Virtual directories) this will isolate the user and prevent them navigating to other part of the site. It will however, allow you to create virtual directories to other part of the site.
Isolating users means that the credential used to login will direct them to there designated folder only. The username and folder name must be the same otherwise your account will not connect. You can create a local user account of tie it up to a domain login.
How to setup FTP users accounts
For local accounts you must create a folder called "LocalUser" on the ftproot level. i.e F:\inetpub\ftproot\LocalUser\%LocalUsername%
Alternatively domain users can login with their AD credentials (not a local user account). To do this create a folder to match your domain i.e "Contoso" on the ftproot level i.e F:\inetpub\ftproot\Contoso\%ADUsername% you must create a folder with the same AD account name under Contoso to connect.
If you are unable to see virtual directories for domain or local accounts when loging in using a client i.e FileZilla; check that you have chosen "DISABLE global virtual directories" in order to be able to point the username directory to a virtual directory OUTSIDE ftproot